1. Striped Tee. A striped tee is a must have. I recommend a basic black and white thin striped 3/4 length sleeve or long sleeve tee above all others. I have many striped tees in varying sleeve lengths for different seasons – but a basic 3/4 length sleeve is preferable. Other striped tee colors to consider are gray/white, navy/white, and red/white.
2. Chambray Shirt. A chambray shirt is a new wardrobe staple. It pairs perfectly with dark denim, colored denim, black pants, printed pants and skirts. I love a lighter Western wash for Spring/Summer. You can decide on snaps or buttons – I own both. I also own and love a chambray/denim tee and wear it in the same situations as the shirt. A medium wash shirt will work year-round as well.
3. Graphic Tee. A good graphic tee is a great way to add the casual to a casual chic outfit. Graphic tees add interest to an outfit and are comfortable. I love white, gray and black graphic tees. A solid color tee with white graphics is also works, but multiples colors or bright graphics can sometimes look juvenile. I try to stick to white, black and gray.
4. V-Neck White Tees. A white tee is definitely an essential and the more you own of your favorite kind, the better. My favorite affordable white tees are Men’s Hanes Premium White V-Neck Tees. They are loose-ish and the v doesn’t dip super low. These tees work will with bright or printed pants, under cardigans or just with blue jeans.
5. Loose Gray Tee. A great gray tee is just as important as a white tee. I love to wear them slightly loose fitting and they just add another option to mix and match with prints and colors in my wardrobe.
6. Solid 3/4 length Sleeve Black Tee. And, yes, another solid. I love having the option of a solid, especially boat neck, black 3/4 length tee. I prefer it to fit a little slimmer and it works great with so many of my trendier pieces. Other solid 3/4 length tee colors to consider are gray, mint, and white.
Are there any other basic tops you would include? Which ones are you missing?