Today I’m sharing a tutorial for my favorite way to style my hair since cutting it into a long pixie- curled with a flat iron. With my hair this short I have found that my hair works best on a schedule. The first day (the day I shower and dry it) is the worst. My hair is too clean and flat. The second and sometimes third day I will style it straight. I curl it on either the 3rd or 4th day and that is when it seems to do best- when it’s really dirty. This curled pixie tutorial is based on Whippy Cake’s video and also my Loose Curls for Short Hair tutorial and video.
Ok- so you can see my before pictures. Dirty and straight hair, full of product from previous days.
1. Start by applying dry shampoo at your roots. Don’t go crazy, but spray enough on to make a difference. I like the Big Sexy dry shampoo because it really does add volume while taking oils away. (I also use Not Your Mother’s Dry Shampoo and I like it- but I prefer it on straight hair days when I also tease it quite a bit for volume.)
3. Wait 2 minutes for the dry shampoo to work it’s magic and then comb through all of your hair.
4. Next make your side part. Decide how deep and what angle you want and use your comb to separate the hair.
6. Use a clip to hold back that top section so you can start working on the bottom layers.
9. After you have curled the bottom layers of both sides, it’s time for the important part- the top. Un-clip it and let it fall forward.
10. Comb your top section forward, toward your face and section off a piece from the very back. I can get two rows of curls in this top section so take a piece from the back left (or whatever side is nearest to your part). Curl it toward your face and forward. Take the section next to it (the back right) and curl it toward your face. These curls should be curled opposite to each other.
Thanks for enduring all the photos- I know it was a lot, but because this isn’t a video tutorial, I think more is better! I can’t wait to see how your hair turns out so be sure to tag me on Instagram with your new curled style!