Mmmm, these ginger cookies are the best thing ever! You may have had ginger snaps before, but if you’ve never had soft ginger cookies, you are in for a treat. These are soft and so delicious. This recipe has been a favorite in our family for years and it brings back to many good memories. These are my Dad’s favorite cookies and we always make extra so that we can deliver a plate to him as well. We cook these as often as we can in our house and always make sure to have the ingredients on hand for them because honestly the urge hits to make them way more than I would ever want to admit. This recipe is so simple and the boys love chipping in to help make them.
How To Make Grandma Kesler’s Ginger Cookies
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves, ground
- Mix shortening, brown sugar, molasses and egg.
- Then add all dry ingredients. Mix.
- Don’t over mix and DO use exact amounts of ingredients.
- Use medium sized cookie scoop to scoop out even dough ball.
- Roll spoonfuls of dough in sugar and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from pan immediately. Cool on paper towel or a cooling rack.