A few weeks back I posted this picture on Instagram. I shared it to show my love for our Amazon Prime membership. I really love being able to order any beauty item that I need and have it show up within a day or two. (Not sponsored—I just really love Amazon.) But there was a lot of IG chatter about what sunless tanner I use. I am SO not an expert, but I’m happy to share what I do.
First, if you really want a self-tanner tutorial, you need to read this. I’m sure the products she lists are amazing, but I’ve tried the Jergens lotion and wanted something darker. I’ve also had Fake Bake highly recommended, but I haven’t tried it yet.
To be honest, I didn’t start using self-tanner until about a year ago. I have always loved having a tan, and growing up, I spent plenty of hours baking on a towel in my backyard (we didn’t have a pool). But I really dislike having pale skin in the winter. After reading Maskcara’s tutorial, I decided I could try it out. This is me last year before I started using any self tanner.
I started out with a really light tanning lotion because I was wary of streaks and orangeness. I started with Jergens Natural Glow. It worked, but it didn’t produce immediate results, and it needed to be applied daily if I wanted to keep my “glow.”
I decided to try something darker and switched to Banana Boat Summer Color in Deep Dark Color. It develops in three hours and definitely works quickly. As you can see below, it also has more room for error. Rookie mistake: I forgot to wash my hands well enough after I applied!
But after practicing for the last year, this is the difference! Looking more like summer, right??
My Tanning Routine and Self-Tanner Tips
- I apply self-tanner to my whole body twice a week after I shower. I apply tanner to just my face and neck three to four times a week.
- I loofah and exfoliate in the shower on the days that I apply. When I get out, I towel off and carefully apply the lotion. I start with the tops of my feet, then move to my legs, torso, arms, neck, and then face. To be honest, often I skip my torso and just do my legs and arms—ya know, the stuff that shows.
- To prevent orange marks and streaking, I am just really careful as I apply. I rub it in well and make sure not to leave visible dark spots of lotion anywhere. I also wash my palms and in between my fingers afterwards.
- Every few weeks, I notice my tan flaking off and getting a little splotchy as it has built up and worn off irregularly. So I take a few days off and loofah frequently enough to start with a clean slate.
- My face and the tops of my hands wear off the fastest, and I find I need to reapply there more often.
- As I was learning to apply, the place that the lotion built up the most was the inside of my wrists. I would often get a dark line between my palms and my arm, which wasn’t cute. Just be aware as you apply that it might happen.
And that is it! I really love having darker skin without the sun damage. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them! Like I said, this works well for me, but I’m sure there are many other products that work well too!
Do you use a sunless tanner? If so, what is your favorite? If not, why not?