1. Black Pencil Skirt – A black pencil skirt is my number one skirt recommendation. This skirt is the one I wear the most out of all the skirts in my closet. I think of it like my skinny black pants – dress it up with heels and a blouse, or dress it down with a chambray shirt and flat sandals. A basic black dress is comparable if you prefer a dress, but it won’t be as versatile as a skirt. I recommend both. 🙂
2. Striped Knit Skirt – This skirt is comparable to your basic striped tee that I mentioned as an essential top. It works well both dressed up and down. Pair it with solid tees, a chambray shirt, or a denim jacket or vest. You can even wear it with a graphic tee. It really is extremely versatile and its actually a skirt that I need to add to my closet.
3. Maxi Skirt/Dress – A maxi dress or skirt is a great basic piece to add to your wardrobe. The length is great to add variety to your closet. If you can’t decide which to choose, you can always buy a maxi dress and style it as a skirt by layering tops over it.
4. Full Midi Skirt – A midi skirt is another great silhouette to add to your closet. This shape pairs well with more fitted tees. Grab a solid skirt to wear with patterned tops.
5. Colored Pencil Skirt – A colored pencil skirt is comparable to colored skinny jeans. Pair them with looser blouses and tees and dress them up or down. Wear a patterned top with a solid skirt or a solid top with a patterned skirt.
6. Textured/Pleated Skirt – If you have all the basics covered, a pleated, crocheted, or lace skirt is another piece to pair with your basics. I am a big fan of texture, and lace and pleats add plenty of that to an outfit.
What is your most worn dress or skirt? What else would you add to this list? I’d love to hear your favs!